Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Vroom!

Hooray for three-day weekends! I feel it's safe to say that our Memorial Day weekend was somewhat eventful. Started off on Friday after work by purchasing a Graco baby swing from Craigslist. I still check through the baby stuff on Craigslist here and there even thought there isn't a particular item that I have in mind anymore. Mostly just "maybe could be nice" items remain at this point, since we've got the big stuff covered. This particular listing had "Owl" in the title and I was nicely surprised to find that it goes with the Pack 'n Play, stroller and carseat that we already had. The swing itself isn't discontinued but the owl pattern is so I didn't even know that such a thing existed until I saw the ad posting. It barely fit in my car after half disassembling it so the next stop was the car dealership that we'd been to 5 times already. Ok, maybe we'd already been planning to hit up the car dealership too. You know what's scary? I suggest buying a car that you've only seen in pictures online!! We had test driven a similar model but it was pretty nerve wrecking to wait until Sunday to see if we'd made a good decision or had made a glaring judgement error. Happily, luck was on our side and our new ride is very sweet and very clean! We traded in Betty (my sensible 2010 Sentra that I bought brand new last year after my 2009 Sentra - that I also bought brand new - had been smashed into) for a 2009 RAV4 Limited with only 13k miles and all the "bells and whistles" we'd been looking for. Plus, it has lots of room to cart around baby stuff and still gets pretty decent mpgs.

On Saturday, we went to see a matinee showing of the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie at our favorite theater downtown. There were less than 10 other people in the theater. The movie was ok, I always like Johnny Depp but I think the other Pirates installments were better. I enjoyed the heck out of some movie popcorn and fountain cherry coke though! I mentioned to Joe that probably the next time we go to the movies, we'll have had to hire a babysitter. My intention was to get a lot done around the house on Saturday but can't say we accomplished much, I guess lazy days are nice here and there.

We woke up bright and early on Sunday, like kids at Christmas, excited about picking up our "new" SUV! Little did we know that the dealership didn't open until 1pm. In the meanwhile we did some baby room organizing and laundry but really nothing substantial. We picked up the RAV at 1:30 and as mentioned, we were quite pleased with our choice; we finished up some remaining paperwork at the dealership and were on our way. After that, we met up with my friend Lori for some tasty ice cream from Cold Stone Creamery and a bit of gossip swapping. I miss working with Lori terribly! We didn't actually work together per se, but our cubes were next to each other and we kept the instant messenger busy fairly often. Somehow, Joe and I still felt that we needed dinner even after all the yummy ice cream calories so Joe grilled some yummy shish-kabobs, made just how I like them: fresh pineapple alternating with thick chunks of steak soaked in jerk sauce. Delish!

Today, we installed Izaak's carseat and picked up some adirondack chairs from the grocery store (weird place to find patio chairs, yes? I agree, but they're perfect and our camping/beach chairs were getting too beat up from constantly being outside). We discovered that we could fit the two chairs in the car with a side table, the stroller, the Pack 'n Play, and groceries... with room to spare! This is very exciting if you're used to limited trunk space!! Joe finished peeling the "visible" linoleum from the kitchen floor today, quite a milestone considering how big of a project this has turned out to be. He still has to move the fridge, and washer and dryer to peel out the remaining linoleum and the pantry too but I don't think it'll take more than a couple more days to get the rest of it. The actual tiling of the floor really shouldn't take too long either. I don't know that it's going to be done before Izaak gets here but hopefully completion should be around the same time. Joe is going to take a couple days off (maybe a week?) of work for Izaak's arrival as well so he's thinking that he can possibly finish up the floor at that time if necessary. Let's hope!

I finally started one of the paintings for Izaak's room today too, it's one that I've had planned out for awhile but had yet to start. I had Joe put up the "octopus" painting in the living room that I started awhile ago. It's just a watery-looking background at this point - no visible octopus - but I actually like it pretty well the way that it is and am considering not adding the octopus. We'll see. I've made some decent progress on Izaak's painting and came into my office/studio/guest room to fetch some black paint when I decided to sit down and blog instead since some of the paint needed to dry anyhow. I setup in the living room to paint today so I could watch the Back to the Future trilogy while working on the art project and so Joe could listen to it too while working on the kitchen. We've seen the movies about 10 gazillion times so watching really isn't a necessity. Somewhere along the way, earlier this evening, I had curled up on the couch and fell asleep for awhile (watching paint dry truly is boring!) and Joe went to hang out with the barbecuing neighbors. I joined up a bit later but was getting eaten alive by the bugs so didn't stay long.

It's approximately 2 weeks until my due date and I have another routine doctor's appointment tomorrow. I'm going once a week now, yuck. I can't get used to being comfortable at the doctor's office. Every time I go, I still get anxious. Ridiculous! I tell myself to "grow up" and "deal with it" but I'm still a wuss. I had to have Joe cut my toenails the other day, reaching my own feet is no longer a comfortably accomplished task. Normal people probably go get pedicures but I keep on going back and forth on actually going to the nail salon as I'm not sure that I want to scare a foreign nail technician with my terribly sore and swollen Flintstone feet.

Anyhow, the house isn't as clean as I'd like it to be and I'm still behind on laundry (as if that would magically change? Who am I kidding, I'm always behind on laundry!!) but I think that I'd be ok if Izaak decides to make his grand entrance a little before the June 13th due date. Just putting it out there. Again, not that I really have any clue as to how to take care of an infant but I don't see how that knowledge is going to manifest itself in the next couple of weeks anyway. I read what I can but I think that hands-on training is what it's ultimately going to take. It would be so much easier if I knew the actual date of his arrival beforehand. I'm much better at budgeting time when I know when my deadlines are!!

No comments:

Post a Comment