Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Today's REAL POST!

Greetings! Here we are, less than 6 weeks until Izaak's due date. The baby surveillance system arrived yesterday and the dresser appeared, magically - of course, at our doorstep today!! Joe is assembling it as I'm writing this... I have him pretty well trained (see picture!!) ;) Last week ended up being buy-lots-of-stuff week; we also picked up a diaper pail, breast pump, and contoured changing pad... all on sale or via coupons, I might add!

Does 9 months sounds like a really long time to you? The past 8 have really felt like a long time to me!! As nervous (and excited) as I am about our upcoming role as parents, I must admit that I'm fairly certain that I'm ready to no longer be an incubator. I'm not saying I regret this decision - to bring a new life into the world and to be a mommy - just weary of the wear and tear is all! I still feel that we're going to have no clue as to what we're doing but I think (and hope) we're up for the challenge. I'm pretty sure that our kiddo could do much worse in the parents department, regardless of our idiocy.

My last doctor's appt was fine, I'm a little heavier than I should be (darn you, milkshakes!!) but the doctor didn't seem too alarmed and after some belly-squeezing said that she didn't think the baby would end up more than 9 lbs by his delivery. Yes, let's hope not! The only other issue was that I sort of got a nail jammed in my toe while trying to forage for a glass of water in the middle of the night. Joe is still in the middle of pulling the linoleum off the kitchen floor and one of the wood trim pieces was sticking out with a pokey-side up nail that came in contact with my shuffling feet. As result, the doctor suggested that I go get a tetanus shot. My last one was probably in 2001 and you're supposed to get one every 10 years anyhow. The nail wasn't rusty, the puncture wasn't too deep, and I haven't been experiencing lock-jaw or anything luckily.

People, more specifically: complete strangers commenting on the apparently immense proportions of my belly is getting a bit irritating. My *favorite* one so far: "I remember being big when I was pregnant but I don't recall being THAT big!" Nice. The odd thing is that these people who approach me with their precious thought gems have no qualms whatsoever about their bluntness and I think the small talk is actually well-meaning somehow. I do my best to grin through gritted teeth but it's getting to the point that I don't want to go to the grocery store anymore simply so I don't have to pretend to be sociable. Let's face it, currently I'm tired and a bit cranky!!

Since we've pretty much taken care of picking up the "big" things that we've determined the baby needs, we also figured why not preoccupy ourselves with another big-ticket item... perhaps a bigger car?! Ok, so maybe that wasn't the exact thought-process but we have been looking at mid-sized SUVs. There's so many options to choose from and we're not really in a hurry to pick anything but who knows!!

No comments:

Post a Comment