Thursday, June 2, 2011

Another Day, Another Dollar.

To sum up today: Tired! Had no interest in vertical mobility when I woke (which really isn't that unusual I suppose!) and have had a heck of a time staying conscious during work.

I did end up getting in to see the doctor yesterday. I called in the morning and explained that I got the time messed up so they gave me an appt in the middle of the day (for punishment I think!). Usually, I go after work so I don't have to go back to work after the appt and make up the hours I've missed. Anyhow, my blood pressure is normal and the baby's heartrate is fine, but my legs/feet/ankles/etc are really swollen and uncomfortable. The doctor offered to write a letter to have me stop working now, before baby's arrival. She said she normally doesn't have a lot of sympathy for most pregnancy symptoms but she can tell how uncomfortable I am and sitting at the computer is exacerbating the problem. I explained that I need to work the next couple of weeks, if possible, in order to be able to spend more time with the baby when I'm able to hold him in my arms - rather than in my belly. Plus, I figure that I can either be miserable at home for free or get paid to be miserable at work!! Without being too graphic, let's just say that she determined that Baby Izaak isn't quite ready to come out either. Things of course could change at any moment, but so far he's seemingly happy where he is. I asked how long past my due date she'd let him go (if he decides to hang out that long) and she said that she doesn't typically let anyone go much past 41 weeks... so, he will be a June-baby, regardless! Doctor also commented that my roundness is "all baby" but I think maybe she was just trying to be nice. She did mention that if I sat in the waiting room for very long that I'd see some really, REALLY big bellies.

I discussed with my boss about having time off today. I explained that I'm due on the 13th (Monday after next) but plan on having my last day being the 10th (Friday before the due date) if the baby hasn't shown up sooner. Six weeks of maternity leave takes me through Friday, July 22nd (my birthday!) but I'm considering taking an additional 4 weeks off, without pay, which will put me back to work on Monday, August 15th (Joe's birthday!). I will have the option to work less hours, so perhaps I'll do a Wednesday through Friday schedule or something for awhile when I do return. Maybe I won't take the extra 4 weeks... eh, we'll see when I get there!!! I'm sure I'll appreciate having some structured adult time at work after being at home for a month and a half.... or not :)

No comments:

Post a Comment