Monday, April 18, 2011

Stuff and Things

Our group at work is sponsoring a luncheon this Friday so I offered to put together a poster (see image on your left). It's loud and cheesy but it was fun to make, offering me a short break from monotonous tech manual land today. I also offered to help with the "Mexican Jumping Bean Counting Contest" which involves me purchasing jelly beans, counting them, and relocating them to a jar that I will decorate. Sure, I have plenty of time and energy to do this. You might also have detected my sarcasm there.


32 weeks along! Overall, I'm feeling ok, I noticed that I don't immediately gag from strong smells anymore. I'm still a little sensitive to odorous things but the ralph-reflex is not nearly as powerful as it was. And I think Izaak has dropped down a bit more. I can breathe somewhat more easily and my ribs aren't as terribly painful as they had been. Sometimes it feels like he's looking for an escape route through my belly-button, its very weird to watch my belly when he does this... actually he's doing it right now! The internet tells me that he probably weighs around 4 lbs already, wow!! So, how come I've gained WAY more than that?! Haha, I do know I'll have some work to do to get into normal-sized clothes again. I am very excited for Izaak's arrival but a bit anxious about knowing what to do with a newborn. The birth itself isn't stressing me out (though I still have time to get stressed about that!) and losing the weight afterward is a concern but mostly I'm nervous in regards to being a total imbecile about figuring out the kiddo and what he needs! There's a lot of conflicting info out there in terms of, well, everything. I know that every kid is different and it will involve a lot of trial and error to get things headed in the right direction. I still need to hit up Barnes & Noble, the clock is ticking!! 


To recap the weekend a bit: On Saturday morning, my neighbor, Jenn, and I went to the Farmer's Market in downtown Charleston to try out some yummy food from her friend's booth and checked out the other wares in the vicinity. Parking downtown is a nightmare but it's to be expected. It's frustrating how easily I get winded while walking. I just can't go very fast and I'm used to being a fancy-free speed-walking-wanderer kind of gal. Plus, I know I'm slowing Jenn way down but in my defense, I am carting around an extra passenger these days. Lately, I find myself tempted to stop mothers with young babies and ask them just how long it takes after birth until you start feeling somewhat normal again! I am beginning to feel more empathy for the severely obese; I've never been described as "skinny" but carting around all this excess baggage is brutal!! Jenn and I also did some other shopping later in the day and I was able to find diaper bag #2 so now the more I look at the first one I picked out, the less I like it. I knew there was a reason I left the price tag on it... what a fickle creature I am! [sigh.]

 
On Sunday, I was excited to find two things on Craigslist that I've been looking for. First: a black changer/dresser combo, ideal dimensions, constructed of solid wood, $30... but somebody else got it before I could coordinate transportation (it wouldn't fit in my Sentra). Second: the breast pump that I've been looking to pick up: brand-new, unopened Medela Pump-In-Style for $195 (rather than $279.99 + tax)... and that one got snagged too. This girl just wants a good deal, is that too much to ask for?! It wasn't my weekend for Craigslist I guess. The search goes on, on, on...
 
I guess that I had a semi-productive weekend. I think that I actually did accomplish a lot... but at the time, it felt like the more that I checked off of my list - the more I realized other things needing my attention. I did finally complete my taxes at very least. TurboTax's definition of "free tax preparation" is not the same as mine. A little over $80 later, my taxes are submitted at any rate, so hopefully the IRS won't be chasing me down this year. I got some gardening done (not much really but I did get the grass pulled out of the mini garden), did some laundry (a very minimal amount), and some light cleaning around the house (a fairly lackluster attempt overall). I also worked on a freelance graphic design project for about 8 hours but barely made a dent in it. At least I got a nap in on Sunday, that was productive, right?!

I'm looking forward to tomorrow: Joe finally returns! I watched the Thunder Over Louisville fireworks (i.e. the reason why Joe has been gone for over a week) live video feed online from the comfort of my couch this year. Experiencing it in person is decidedly more exhilirating but I have to admit that it was nice to be warm and comparatively comfortable this year. I would've been a miserable little monkey if I had to sit/stand outside for hours on end like the last two years. Joe and I will be heading to Myrtle Beach this weekend to see his family for Easter so I put some goodies together in baskets for the nephews. Nothing too elaborate and no sweets for the 15 month old, but I'm sure the mother - who works in a dentist's office (sorry, Michelle!) - is going to be thrilled about all the treats in her older son's basket :) Oh well, I'm sure he's stocked with toothbrushes and toothpaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment