Sunday, November 3, 2013

What I learned while planning a wedding - part 3


This is the next chapter in the wedding planning saga, enjoy!!
PROJECTS/DECORATIONS.
This was the fun part for me but per usual, I tried to take on too many projects. Right off the bat, I picked mint green and grey for a color scheme, and was specifically excited about using a grey and white chevron pattern for accents. As I was looking at things that were mint green, I found myself more drawn toward aqua/tiffany blue colored things so the color scheme morphed a little, and I hadn’t made anything that had color on it yet anyhow. So I had a specific look in mind and started by assembling a list of things I liked on Pinterest.
 
 
THINGS I MADE.
Invites: I designed and printed the Save-the-Date magnets with custom printed return address envelopes, I designed and printed the 5x7 flat, double-sided invites, the RSVP postcards, and made custom address labels for the envelopes. I had quite a time with tricky yet pretty paper and multiple trips to the store to purchase more printer ink.

Fan programs: Why not? I figured that our wedding day was bound to be hot (yes, it certainly was!) and this was a cute idea procured from Pinterest. I designed and printed the programs on pretty paper and glued them onto tongue depressors, then tied some twine on each in order to fancy them up a bit. Put them in a basket I found at Ross or Marshalls, made a banner for the basket out of pretty paper and twine and called it "good-to-go".
 
For the bridesmaids: I made necklaces, made felt rosettes for the girls’ flip-flops, I personalized their welcome bags that held snacks, water, flip-flops, jewelry (also got them matching aqua earrings), aqua nail polish, lip gloss, and antibacterial hand gel. Side note: We had their gorgeous blue hydrangea bouquets made by a florist, thank goodness. It was something I probably could have done but might have lost my mind as result!

For the groomsmen: Boutonnieres. I didn’t actually make the sweetgrass roses but I assembled them into boutonniere form with ribbon, twine and antique buttons I picked up from Ebay. Joe made the guys some beer and we gave them each a pair of grey Converse.
 
Welcome bags (for guests staying in the hotel block): Filled with snacks, water bottles, and a custom printed thank-you note.

For the tables:
Votive jars. I saved up about 60 baby food jars, carefully cleaned up all the label goo, gave each a shot of silver spray paint and quick dip in glitter across the rim of the jars, assembled 5 different strips of pictures from our engagement photos then printed them on vellum and cut to fit inside the jar, then filled with an LED votive and tied twine around the rim.
Vases. We had 6 large and 6 smaller glass, cylinder vases, each was wrapped with a “band of bling” after they had been sprayed with silver spray paint across each of the rims. The smaller vases were used for bridesmaid bouquet receptacles. The larger vases contained “gum balls” from the sweetgum tree in our front yard that Izaak and I spent many afternoons collecting. I painstakingly spray painted each of them silver. I also cut some branches from the tree in the backyard that I think is finally, completely dead. We had replanted it from the front yard when we moved in, in order to make room for a palm tree. I spray painted the branches silver as well and we hung small crystals from some of the branches.
Table Numbers. I designed the numbers spelled out in a banner and printed them, then used spray-tac to adhere them to black foamcore board and cut each out with an Exact-o knife. I then attached Velcro to the back of each and the other side was attached to the band of bling on each vase – voila, table number/vase combos!
Tablesettings: I went out of my way to find and purchase silver plastic silverware. Bought them from Amazon.com. Sounds silly? I felt it looked a little classier than the clear or black plastic silverware that was going to be provided and I wanted to personalize the tablesettings. I wrapped each trio of knife, spoon, fork in a silver napkin, wrapped it with a paper napkin ring that I had printed the grey chevron pattern on one side and a thank you message from Joe and I on the opposite side, then wrapped it together with a piece of twine, tied into a bow. I printed the napkin rings on shimmery, letter-sized cardstock, each sheet had 9 thank you messages and each were hand-cut after printing. Definitely a detail that could’ve been passed on or simplified but I had fun with it and liked the end result.


Other bits and pieces:
Guestbook. I painted two owls on a tree branch that was intended to be our “guest book” of sorts and we had people sign it and have on display at home rather than have an actual book hiding on a shelf. It’s now hanging on the wall in our living room!
Mason jars. I designed the “logo” for the mason jars that Joe and his work buddy sandblasted onto a bunch of mason jars as our guest favor, I also made a sign for the mason jars that I put in a small frame – it referenced the fact that people should take a jar and go to the bar but not drink and drive.
Photobooth prints. I used the design from the mason jar for the photobooth strips logo but fancied it up a bit with a chevron.
Photobooks. I made two photobooks on Shutterfly to display at the event; one of engagement photos and one of photos of Joe and I throughout our 7 years of dating prior to engagement.
Mantle Décor. I spray painted and wrapped twine on the rims of some larger mason jars to decorate the mantle that also held a cutout “Love” sign that I painted in aqua and grey stripes. I made a painting that says “as you wish” in a speech bubble.
Wreath. I bought a grapevine wreath and attached two overlapping wooden letter “N”s on one side (I covered one of the Ns in grey chevron fabric) and made some rosettes from light and dark grey felt and hot-glued them to the opposite side. It is currently is hanging on our front door at home!
Paper lanterns. I didn’t have to make these, I found some on sale at World Market, hung them in the trees for the ceremony.
Pick a Seat Sign. Found a cute idea on Pinterest, duplicated the idea with a wood sign that Joe assembled and I painted the lettering.
Streamers for our exit. Lame! I could’ve totally skipped this detail and we should’ve gone with sparklers instead!! I was afraid of my dress getting burned though. Again, LAME!!!
 
I'll save more for later, stay tuned!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment